It’s the New Year, do you make new resolutions every year? Many of the most common resolutions are difficult to keep up with. We have 5 easy tips that will help you make a big impact on your hearing health with minimal effort.
- Protect Your Ears from Loud Noises: You may not realize what types of noises and sounds can actually cause permanent hearing loss. Many people realize that loud concerts, gun shots, fireworks, airplanes, and machinery are loud enough to cause damage; however, there are unlikely culprits too. How loud is too loud? Noise levels over 85 decibels can become dangerous, especially over long periods of time. You can download a smartphone app that will let you know how loud of an environment you are in. Then you will realize that power tools, vacuums, even night clubs or restaurants can be loud enough to cause noise-induced hearing loss if you are exposed for extended periods of time.
- Turn Down the Volume when Using Media: Another cause of noise-induced hearing loss is listening to media through earphones. Most newer devices give you a warning alert when the level is too high. Don’t ignore this because if can cause permanent hearing loss. This applies to any media listened through headphones including phone calls, music, or other entertainment. If you find yourself constantly turning the volume up past 60% in order to hear through your headphones, then consider having your hearing evaluated.
- Exercise: This is a common New Year’s resolution; however exercising isn’t just for weight loss! Studies have shown that your hearing can be preserved when you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Eat Healthy: Just like exercising, eating right is another popular New Year’s resolution. A healthy diet also helps preserve your hearing as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- See Your Hearing Professional Regularly: If you are concerned that you are experiencing any hearing loss, then resolve to make an appointment for a hearing evaluation with us. Even if you don’t recognize any hearing problems, we recommend that after the age of 50 you should start having your hearing evaluated. Hearing loss isn’t always easily recognized.
Hearing Help Associates, Helping New Yorkers Hear Well Again
At Hearing Help Associates, we are always here to help you through all aspects of your hearing health. If you have any questions about hearing loss or hearing aids, please contact us to schedule an appointment with one of our hearing professionals today. We have 6 convenient audiology clinic locations for you in Long Island, NY: Babylon, Bayside, Bellmore, Great Neck, Jericho, and Rockville Centre.